About a year ago, the Government of India had launched a scheme by the name of BetiBachao, BetiPadhao in the country to empower women and promote education for the girl child. This was introduced initially to address the rising issue of Child Sex Ratio in the country.
Recently the Prime Minister’s Office has praised the efforts made by the Punjab Government towards effective implementation of this scheme in the state on its official website. There are a number of factors worth mentioning about the efforts made by the state government and their working process. They are:
- The scheme has been launched in various districts of Punjab, specially the places where this issue has cropped up the most. Nawanshehar, Hoshiarpur, Ropar, Moga, Kapurthala, Jalandhar, Mansa, Faridkot, Bathinda and Ludhiana are some of those places where it has been fully executed.
- Punjab Women and Child Development Department is the prime agency that is handling this project in Punjab, along with the support from the education and health department.
- Different departments are very well handling their duties to successfully empower the girl child. For instance, the health department makes sure that the expecting mothers are registered with the department and there are no loopholes in implementation of the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act in the districts. On the other hand, the education department is progressively working towards taking care of the educational opportunities for the girl child.
- As per the instructions by the state government, units at the district level have been instructed to prepare the action plan that they are carrying forward to implement the scheme in their respective districts. This will further be taken to the villages and other urban areas where the problem of child sex ratio is still prevalent.
- Mansa is one of those districts in the country, which has one of the worst sex ratio. Also, the average female literacy for Punjab is 71 percent but in Mansa that is also as low as 55 percent. The government is trying its best to inspire the girls to go to school and take up good education with the help of a scheme by the Mansa administration, named ‘Udaan – Live your dream for one day’.
- As a result of the above-mentioned effort, around 70 students in Mansa have experienced a day of the professional life with the experienced. This will further help them in understanding how things work and what career they have to go for in their coming future.
- Hundreds of girls from standard 6th to 8th in Mansa have been taken for a day to experience the lives of professionals like, a police officer, an IAS officer, a doctor and other such high-level positions to let them have an understanding of these professions and help them decide their future career path.
These are efforts which help in building self-confidence amongst girls and make them realize the importance of education, which will further reduce the number of school dropouts in the district, which is currently 30 percent in a place like Mansa.